Grilled Chicken Sandwich
This is the world’s best chicken sandwich. Even though I haven’t tried every chicken sandwich on the planet, I can say without doubt that it is the best chicken sandwich I’ve ever had. I even have a little story to go with it.
My Chicken Sandwich Love Story
My boyfriend won me over with this one, so it’s special to me. When we first met I worked at this little café where I baked cakes and pastries. After standing in the kitchen for hours, I would get home exhausted, starving and definitely craving something savory. So when Martin invited me over to his place for dinner, I was of course very excited. The smell of grilled chicken that greeted me on the doorstep was mouthwatering. The first bite was everything. I hope I don’t promise too much, but this sandwich is the bomb. We’ve made it for many friends and they all loved it – you will too!
Grilled Chicken, Red Bell Peppers and Thyme
…paired with Black Forest ham or bacon and lettuce is a match made in heaven. The toasted whole-wheat bread makes an excellent base. The main component is of course the chicken. If you roast the boneless skinless chicken breasts in the pan and after that in the oven, it comes out juicy and not dry at all. Combine the grilled chicken with the bell peppers and the bacon and you will make someone fall in love with you, too. Here’s what you got to do.
- 1 whole-wheat baguette
- 3 cups of lettuce
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 pickled roasted bell peppers
- 4 slices of Black Forest ham or bacon
- 1 avocado
- 4-6 sprigs of thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tbs of lime juice
- Preheat oven to 175°C/350°F.
- Wash and dry chicken breasts. Preheat pant, add a little olive oil. Grill chicken on medium-high, both sides about 5 minutes or until brown. The chicken is most likely not cooked through by that time, which is why you move the pan to the preheated oven. Make sure your pan has a heat-resistant handle.
- In the meantime, cut pickled bell peppers to strips.
- Mash avocado with a fork, add lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Put baguette into the oven to warm it up.
- Remove chicken from the oven when it is cooked through (after about 10 minutes in the oven, depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts)
- Cut chicken into slices. Season with pepper and salt, add thyme (remove leaves from sprigs first).
- Heat up the pan again, add bacon and cook until crispy.
- Remove baguette from the oven, slice open and spread avocado cream on both sides.
- Put lettuce on the bottom half of the sandwich.
- Add chicken, bell peppers and bacon.
- Top the sandwich with the upper half of the baguette.
- Bon appetit!
Tip: If you don’t like avocado (no judging!) or can’t find any at the store, use mayonnaise or even better, remoulade sauce.