Don’t you just love a glass of cold wine on a hot summer day, preferably Friday? I love to unwind like that. When I first heard of frosé aka frozen rosé of course I made a mental note to try it out myself very soon. Now, this was 2016. I believe it was THE summer drink two years ago. Whoops. Since that trend never really made it across the pond and there are only a few bars that sell frosé, it’s crystal clear that I had to make it myself. Finally! It only took so long.
So anyway, I looked up a whole bunch of frosé recipes on Pinterest, but eventually I just decided to ditch them all and make something up on the spot. I decided to go with a lemony-strawberry flavor which worked really well! No extra grocery shopping needed for that day as I had strawberries and lemons at home.
I saw a whole bunch of cake recipes and drinks that used flavored simple syrup but I never really got around to trying that out. It’s really simple. Haha, get it? You basically put equal parts refined sugar and water in a pot, bring it to a boil and once you’ve added your fruit or flavor of choice, you let it cool down to room temperature.
I was a bit worried about that part, because I don’t own a powerful stand up mixer that is able to crush ice. Which is why I never made those frozen margaritas at home. However, when you freeze the rosé it doesn’t freeze completely solid because of the alcohol. Which means the consistency is more like that of shaved ice and I just put it in my smoothie blender. Easy peasy!
Once the strawberry simple syrup is made, a fresh lemon squeezed and you added all that to the rosé it is ready to freeze overnight (or at least 7 hours). When you remove it from the freezer, you’ll realize it’s a lot like shaved ice and not really drinkable yet. Which is where lemonade comes in! I tried this with San Pellegrino Limone e Menta, but also with an organic regular sparkling lemonade and both versions were great. Once you add lemonade to the frosé and blend it, it’ll reach the perfect consistency! Basically a slurpee for adults, ha! What more could you possibly want in summer.
- One handful of fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bottle (750ml) rosé wine
- 1/2-1 cup lemonade
- For the simple syrup, add water and sugar to a pot and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Once sugar is completely dissolved, remove from heat and add strawberries. Let syrup cool down to room temperature and let the berries infuse for at least half an hour.
- For the frosé, add lemon juice, syrup and wine to a freezable container (I used a small brownie pan). Freeze overnight or at least until mostly solid.
- Before serving, combine the frozen wine mixture with lemonade and blend in a food processor, mixer or smoothie maker. It should only take a couple of pulses. Serve with fresh mint for some extra flavor. Enjoy!