Sweet Potato Carrot Soup
Soup season is back! It’s quite embarrassing to admit this, but I started writing this blog post last soup season but never posted it. So here I am, 10 months later and finally getting to it. The good thing is, I still love this soup and planning on making it for lunch next week.
It’s this incredibly creamy, healthy sweet potato carrot soup with crispy bacon and a really nice balsamic sauce. Seems a little too extra? It’s not. It’s really to make! See for yourself.
Do you ever look in your fridge or pantry and wonder what you could make with the food in there? I don’t love grocery shopping so I try to avoid it until no longer possible. Same thing happened when I decided to make this soup. I had a whole bunch of carrots and two gigantic sweet potatoes left. Usually I go with oven roasting but I wanted to have a warm meal for lunch at work the next day and in my opinion roasted veggies are best when they come right out the oven. Anyway, other than sweet potatoes and carrots you need onions, instant vegetable broth and some sort of jelly, preferably cassis. Oh, and bacon. Can’t forget about the bacon.
I love topping soups with delicious things like bacon, however you can totally leave out the syrup if you’re not interested in that. The soup tastes great without and it’s one of those basic soups that you can add many things in. I’ve also added regular potatoes with the sweet potatoes and it ended up tasting great as well. What do you like to put on your soup?
Long story short, if you want a hearty, delicious soup that also happens to be filling and healthy (minus the syrup, haha) check out this recipe! If you feel like warming up from the inside out but don’t have any veggies at hand, you might like this five ingredient pancake soup.
- 2 onions
- 500 g (4-5) carrots
- 250 g (about 2) sweet pottoes
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tsp instant veggie stock
- 750 ml water
- salt and pepper
- 60 g blackcurrant jelly
- 6 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 6 pieces becon
- 150 g sour cream or creme fraiche
- fresh chives
- Peel onions, sweet potatoes and carrots. Cut into rough pieces.
- Heat butter in a large pot and braise onions lightly. Add sweet potato pieces and carrots and roast for about 2 minutes.
- Fill pot with water and bring to a boil. Add instant stock and season with salt and pepper.
- Let it simmer with the lid on for about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your vegtable pieces.
- In the meantime, reduce jelly and vinegar in a small pot to a syrup.
- Roast bacon in a hot pan (no extra fat needed) until crispy. Remove from the pan once it is done and let it cool on a paper towel.
- Once the soup has cooked for 15-20 minutes, use a hand held blender to blend it. Add half the sour cream and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Wash and cut fresh chives and mix with freshly grounded black pepper. Serve soup with bacon, the syrup, a dollop of sour cream and top it off with the fresh herbs.